Skip to main content

Old Buildings of Adelaide

Hindley Street, 1846


State Library Catalogue Reference: B 15276/41

Looking west from King William Street in 1846. Even then Hindley Street was a bustling centre of shops and traders. Horse riders, carriages, drays, pedestrians and dogs shared the dirt road. The buildings are surprisingly grand for a colony only ten years old.

The scene was painted in 1846 by well known artist of the day George French Angas based on a watercolour by ST Gill. It became a lithograph in Angas' book South Australia illustrated published in 1847.