Skip to main content

Old Buildings of Adelaide

Adelaide Steamship Company building, Currie Street, 1917


State Library Catalogue Reference: B 1800

Photographer : Francis Gabriel.

This dramatic building with its archway and columns, was designed by Alfred Wells and built in 1903 for the Adelaide Steamship Company. The Company was founded in 1875 and for more than 100 years was Australia's largest passenger and cargo shipping company.

A sculpture of a ship's prow, symbol of the company, topped the building. In 1939-40 the company refaced the building and all the exterior detailing was destroyed. The building was demolished in 1986 making way for the atrium of the State Bank, Adelaide's tallest building, now Westpac House.

Go to State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia