Skip to main content

Old Buildings of Adelaide

Adelaide Steamship Company building, Currie Street, 1903


State Library Catalogue Reference: B 5266

Photographer : Ernest Gall

The newly completed Adelaide Steamship Company building.

This dramatic building with its archway and columns, was designed by Alfred Wells and built in 1903 for the Adelaide Steamship Company seen here on 7 October 1903. The Company was founded in 1875 and for more than 100 years was Australia's largest passenger and cargo shipping company.

A sculpture of a ship's prow, symbol of the company, topped the building. In 1939-40 the company refaced the building and all the exterior detailing was destroyed.

The building was later demolished in 1986 making way for the atrium of the State Bank, Adelaide's tallest building, and is now Westpac House.

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia