Skip to main content

Old Buildings of Adelaide

Adelaide Observatory, West Terrace, c.1900


State Library Catalogue Reference: B 69996/1

The Adelaide Observatory stood on the corner of West Terrace and Glover Avenue (opposite Currie Street) from 1860 to 1952. It was built for Sir Charles Todd (inset), South Australia's first Government Astronomer who lived onsite.

Its latitude 34° 55’ 38” S and longitude 138° 34’58” E, was the standard geodetic survey point for South Australia.

Its two telescopes were transferred to the University of Adelaide in 1940. The Observatory was demolished in 1978 and a plaque marks the site, which is now home to Adelaide High School.