Skip to main content

Old Buildings of Adelaide

Adelaide Observatory, West Terrace, 1939


State Library Catalogue Reference: B 9182

The Adelaide Observatory stood on the corner of West Terrace and Glover Avenue (opposite Currie Street) from 1860 to 1952. It was built for Sir Charles Todd, South Australia's first Government Astronomer who lived onsite.

Its two telescopes were transferred to the University of Adelaide in 1940. The Observatory was demolished in 1978 and a plaque marks the site, which is now home to Adelaide High School