Skip to main content

Lost pubs of Adelaide

Clarence Hotel, King William Street, 1909

Photo taken 01 January 1909

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 1798

Photographer: Francis Gabriel

100 King William Street. The Clarence Hotel started out as the Alma Shades in 1857, then in 1858, was known as the Adelaide Shades. It was re-named as the Clarence Hotel from 1863-1917 and then became the Majestic. It traded under that name until 1981 when it was demolished. The Tivoli Theatre (also on this site) is advertised with decorative lights. Several men are posing in front of the building. The fourth man from the left, in the light-coloured suit and hat, is the American Charles J Johnson, known as "The Black Diamond, champion Cakewalk Dancer". He is standing to one side of a poster advertising his appearance.

In King William-street on Friday night between 9 and 10 o'clock a young man in front of the Clarence Hotel shouted "There he goes!" He pointed to some people in a passing vehicle, and started to follow them. He was joined by a number of others, and soon there was a large crowd following the vehicle. The chase was continued along King William-street, into Rundle-street, and to North-terrace. The occupants of the vehicle there drove clear of the crowd. The incident caused some excitement among pedestrians, and the police, who investigated the matter, came to the conclusion that tile young man who started the chase had hoaxed the crowd.'
The Advertiser, Saturday 14 August 1915, page 19

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.