Skip to main content

The Old Pubs of North Adelaide

Oxford Hotel, O'Connell Street, North Adelaide, c1909


Photo taken 01 January 1909

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 5603

The Oxford Hotel, on the right of the photograph, was established as the Princess Royal Hotel in 1859. It changed it's name to the Oxford in 1884 when it was rebuilt.

'LICENSEE PROSECUTED
CHAINED DOOR TO KEEP OUT DRUNKS
Florence Stacey, licensee of the Oxford Hotel, North Adelaide, was charged with having permitted persons to be on her licensed premises at 9.30 p.m. on March 15, contrary to the provisions of the Licensing Act.
Mr. F. G. Hicks prosecuted and Mr. C. A. Edmunds appeared for defendant.
Evidence submitted by Constable; Brown and Slater showed that they found the front door shut, but unlocked, and on entering they were held up by another door that was ajar, but chained. They could not get the chain undone. A woman in the passage called out, and a male came and undid the chain. The police saw three men hurriedly leaving from the direction of the parlor at the back of the liquor bar. They stopped them, and questioned the men. They told the licensee and she said that she did not know anything about the men being on the premises. She explained that the chained door was to keep out the drunks.
The further hearing of the case was adjourned to a day to be fixed.'
Daily Herald, Saturday 6 April 1918, p3

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.