Skip to main content

The Old Pubs of North Adelaide

Cathedral Hotel, North Adelaide, 1937


Photo taken 07 April 1937

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 6957

South-east corner of King William Road and Kermode Street. Established as the the Scotch Thistle Inn, originally on the north side of Kermode Street in 1850, the license was moved to the present location in 1881. Changed name to the Cathedral Hotel in 1925 and continues to trade under that name.

'SAFEBREAKER DISTURBED
A safe cracksman at the Cathedral Hotel, King William road, North Adelaide, is thought to have been disturbed in the early hours of today when a maid walked into the lounge. The office safe, measuring 2 ft. 6 in by 2 ft., had been lifted on to its side, but no attempt had been made to interfere with the lock. The intruder had forced the hotel door with a jemmy and then broken into the office.'
The News, Saturday 6 March 1948, p3

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.