Skip to main content

The Old Pubs of North Adelaide

Caledonian Hotel, O'Connell Street, North Adelaide, c1878


Photo taken 31 December 1877

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 5111

On the corner of O'Connell Street and Barton Terrace, the Caledonian was established in 1869.

'THE HOUNDS AT NORTH ADELAIDE.
The announcement that the hounds would "throw off " at the Caledonian Hotel on Saturday, September 7, drew together a very large concourse of spectators, but comparatively a small field of horsemen, and but few riders in red.
The small attendance of club members on this occasion was due to the fact that most of the hunters who are entered for events at Morphettville on the 14th and 21st inst. have "qualified" earlier in the season, and are now in active training for the race meetings. The run on Saturday was intended to give the "wheelers" a show, all the jumping being over Corporation doubles on the margin of the Park Lands… Some of the leaps were very stiff, and the field thinned off considerably towards the finish. One rider, whom we did not recognise, "turned turtle" on the Walkerville-road, and Appendreena came down with his rider two or three times in the course of the run. Tambro tumbled at the last fence, and several other spills took place, but no damage was done, except to the Umber, and the onlookers seemed to enjoy the variety afforded them by the performances of the acrobats.'
The South Australian Advertiser, Monday 9 September 1878, p6

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.