Skip to main content

Old Buildings of Adelaide

Automobile laundry, corner of West Terrace and Hindley Street, 1926


State Library Catalogue Reference: B 3613

This is the short-lived premises of Goodman Brothers Auto and Service Company with its workshop, driveway and bowsers. It was built in 1926 on a vacant site but the company went out of business soon after. The Automobile Laundry was the first service station on this site.

Before the service station the site was largely residential. In 1894 residents at 271 Hindley Street were a wire mattress maker, blacksmith, fruiterer, plasterer, boilermaker and labourer.

Since 1836 this corner site has really had only three usages - residential, service stations, and now a fast food outlet occupies the corner.

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia