Skip to main content

Old Buildings of Adelaide

Adelaide Steamship Company, Currie Street, 1903


State Library Catalogue Reference: B 5266

Photographer: Ernest Gall.

This attractive building, with its archway and columns, exudes confidence. It was designed by Alfred Wells and built in 1903. A sculpture of a ship's prow, symbol of the Adelaide Steamship Company, topped the building. Changes were made in 1939-40 and all the exterior detailing was destroyed. It was demolished in 1986 making way for the atrium of Adelaide's tallest building, the then State Bank Building (currently the Westpac Building).

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia