Skip to main content

Heritage Places of Adelaide

Former Dwellings - Montefiore House and Roche House (Aquinas College)


1-25 Palmer Place NORTH ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

Historically, Montefiore is mostly associated with Sir Samuel Way who was responsible for transforming the original Regency style mansion into one of Italianate style. This former residence is representative of a grand living style associated with a person of note.

Way was Chief Justice from 1876 until his death in 1916. He was Chancellor of the University of Adelaide, first Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of Freemasons in South Australia and a notable philanthropist.

Architecturally, the house has undergone three major stages of development. Built in the Regency style in the 1850s, it was transformed in the late 1870s in the Italianate style when ornamentation in the form of stucco and cast iron were added. The architect for those changes was William McMinn. The loss of its second storey after Way's death, demonstrates the unpopularity of large houses in the City, particularly after the First World War, when many large mansions became offices, private hospitals, or schools.

Since 1948, the former residence has been part of Aquinas College and therefore has had a long association as a Catholic residential college. (PJS 25/11/97)

Built in 1905, Roche house is architecturally significant as an excellent example of a large house of the Federation period, during which emphasis was placed on asymmetry, variety of roof form (tiles, gables and projections were common) and quality brick dressing. The building has important detailing to the brickwork of the porch and adjacent window, and the quality of the joinery and internal fittings, especially to the galleried entrance, are of a very high order.

During the 1920s it was the home of Sir Collier Cudmore, Solicitor, President of LCL 1934-36 and Olympic Gold medallist in 1908. The essential integrity of the building is high; unsympathetic additions have been made at the rear, but these are not obtrusive. The new use of the building since its purchase by Aquinas College in 1953 has required few internal alterations. (Adapted from City of Adelaide Heritage Study 1981)

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 8 November 1984

More Information